Skilled Worker Dependant Visa

Extending Tier 2/Skilled Worker Dependant Visa in the UK

Extending a Tier 2 or Skilled Worker Dependant visa is essential for dependants wishing to prolong their stay in the UK.  A number of conditions must be met in order for the extension to be granted, such as fulfilling the qualifying requirements, submitting the required paperwork, and completing the application process correctly.

This guide explores the details regarding the Skilled Worker Dependant visa extension. We will discuss the requirements, necessary documentation, and step-by-step guidance on submitting a successful extension application.

Extending Your Skilled Worker Dependant Visa

When extending a Tier 2 or Skilled Worker dependant visa in the UK, the dependants of skilled migrant workers must submit their applications separately. They may choose to apply simultaneously with the main visa holder or submit their applications any time before the expiry of their current visas. 

Dependants must apply online using the primary visa holder’s Skilled Worker visa extension application number, identified as a Global Web Form (GWF) or Unique Application Number (UAN). This number can typically be found in any communications from the UK Visas and Immigration (UKVI).

Part of the application process requires dependants to verify their identity, which can be done by attending a UKVCAS appointment to submit biometric information and have their documents checked or by using the online ID check app to scan and submit their identity documents electronically.

Dependants mustn’t travel outside of the UK while their applications are being processed, as this could imply abandoning the application. The usual processing time is about 8 weeks, during which they should remain in the UK.

Once the extension is granted, it will align with the expiry of the main applicant’s visa to ensure the family can stay together in the UK under the same conditions. 

Also Read: UK Tier 2 Dependant Visa Criteria Explained

Requirements to Extend Skilled Worker Dependant Visa

Extending a Skilled Worker Dependant Visa requires meeting the eligibility criteria that were initially fulfilled during the original visa application. Below are the detailed requirements for partners and children and the financial stipulations involved.

Eligibility Criteria for Partners

To extend their visa, dependent partners must prove their ongoing relationship and intention to live with the main applicant, who holds the Skilled Worker Visa. The specific requirements are as follows:

  • Marital Status: The applicant must be legally married or in a civil partnership with the main visa holder.
  • Relationship Proof: Proof of an authentic and subsisting association with the primary visa holder must be provided.
  • Cohabitation: There must be an intention to live together during the stay in the UK, which needs to be clearly demonstrated through joint commitments like shared accommodation.
  • Financial Independence: Sufficient funds should be available to support the dependent partner without recourse to public funds, ensuring they do not become a financial burden on the state.

Eligibility Criteria for Children

Children applying for an extension of their dependant visa must meet age-related requirements and demonstrate dependency:

  • Age Limit: The child must be under 18 at the time of applying. Applications for those aged 18 or older are only considered if they were previously granted a dependant visa and are not living independently.
  • Dependency:
    • Children aged 16 and over must live with the main applicant unless they are attending full-time education at an institution such as a boarding school, college, or university.
    • They cannot be in a civil relationship, be married, or have children.
    • Financial dependency on the main applicant must be evident, with no independent income or resources.
  • Residence Proof: Evidence that the child resides with the main applicant is required, particularly for those aged 16 and above, reinforcing their dependency claim.

Also Read: Documents Required for UK Child Dependant Visa

Financial Requirements for Dependants

The financial requirements for dependants seeking to extend their visas vary based on the duration of their stay in the UK:

  • If in the UK for more than 12 months: Applicants are not required to demonstrate financial support, as their continued presence and accommodation are assumed to be stable and supported.
  • If in the UK for less than 12 months: Applicants must show they have enough funds to sustain themselves:
    • Partners: Must demonstrate access to at least £285.
    • One Child: Should have at least £315.
    • Each Additional Child: An additional £200 per child is required.

Also Get to know about : Essential UK Dependant Visa Requirements Explained 2024

Required Documents for the Extension

When applying to extend a Tier 2 or Skilled Worker Dependant visa, the Home Office requires various documents that substantiate the eligibility of the dependants. These include:

Proof of Relationship

To extend their dependant visa, partners of Skilled Worker visa holders need to provide evidence of a genuine and subsisting relationship:

  • Global Web Form (GWF) or Unique Application Number (UAN): This number, which can be found in correspondence from UKVI, links the dependant’s application with the main visa holder’s application.
  • Marriage or Civil Partnership Certificate: Official documents proving the legal union between the dependant and the main visa holder.
  • Valid Overseas Registration Document: For same-sex relationships, this document serves as proof of the partnership’s recognition according to foreign laws.
  • Proof of Cohabitation: Documents such as bank or building society statements, council tax bills, utility bills, residential mortgage statements, and tenancy agreements that show both names at the same address or other correspondence that demonstrates cohabitation.

Proof of Child Dependency

For children who are dependant on the Skilled Worker visa, the following documents are necessary:

  • Child’s Birth Certificate: To prove the child’s identity and relationship with the Skilled Worker visa holder.
  • Evidence of Dependency (if the child is 16 years or over):
    • Bank or Building Society Statements: These should highlight financial support provided by the parent, reflecting transactions to the child’s account.
    • Official Letter from Educational Institution: A document from the child’s institution demonstrating their enrollment and current address.

Please note that the list of documents provided here is not exhaustive. The UK Visas and Immigration (UKVI) may require more documents specific to the dependant’s application.

Applicants are advised to check the latest requirements from UKVI when preparing their application to ensure all paperwork is complete and correct.

Also Read: UK Student Dependent Visa New Rules 2024

How to Apply for a Tier 2 / Skilled Worker Visa Extension

Applying for a Tier 2 / Skilled Worker visa extension requires careful preparation and adherence to the UK Visas and Immigration (UKVI) guidelines. The process begins with completing the appropriate extension application form, where dependants must include the primary Skilled Worker’s Global Web Form (GWF) or Unique Application Number (UAN). This ensures the applications are linked appropriately.

The cost of the extension varies: it is £719 per person for extensions up to three years and £1,423 for longer periods. These fees are reduced for dependants of those in shortage occupations. Additionally, all applicants must pay the healthcare surcharge, which is £1035 annually for adults and £776 for children, granting them access to the National Health Service.

After payment, the next step is to schedule and attend a biometric appointment at a UKVCAS service point, where fingerprints and a photograph are taken. Applicants must also upload or submit all required supporting documents, which typically include proof of relationship and financial adequacy.

Decisions on the visa extension usually arrive within 8 weeks. However, for an additional fee, applicants can opt for the super-priority (within 1 working day for £1,000) or priority service (within 5 working days for £500) for faster processing. 

Extending a Dependant Visa Following the Main Applicant’s Settlement in the UK

Yes, dependants of a main work visa holder who has obtained Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR) or British citizenship can apply to extend their stay in the UK. 

The qualifying period for applying for ILR as a dependant includes residing continuously in the UK for five years. During this period, you should not have spent more than 180 days outside the UK in any 12-month period.

If you don’t qualify for the ILR because you have not fulfilled the 5 years, you can simply apply for a dependant visa extension. After fulfilling the requirement later, you will become eligible to apply for the ILR. 

Read More: How to Convert Dependant Visa To Work Visa in the UK

Let Spouse Visa Lawyers Help

Let Spouse Visa Lawyers simplify your journey towards extending your dependant visa or applying for ILR in the UK.

With a proven track record of assisting dependants like you, our immigration lawyers ensure your application stands the best chance of acceptance. Our expert team will guide you through every step, managing legal hurdles and ensuring you meet all the stringent requirements without stress.

Don’t risk unnecessary delays or rejections—partner with Spouse Visa Lawyers today and confidently secure your family’s future in the UK. Reach out now to start your seamless application process.

You Ask, We Answer


To extend a Tier 2/Skilled Worker Dependant Visa in the UK, you must meet certain eligibility criteria set by UK immigration authorities. These include confirming the genuineness of the relationship and fulfilling the financial criteria. 

Yes, you need to apply to update your visa if your dependent visa is expiring to ensure you have legal status to stay in the UK. Make sure to apply for the visa expires to avoid any issues. 

Yes, you can apply for indefinite leave to remain once you have met the required residency period while holding a skilled worker visa in the UK.

To renew a skilled worker visa in the UK, you need to submit an application following the immigration rules and provide all necessary supporting documents.

It is common for main applicants to obtain ILR before their dependants if they had started living in the UK earlier. In such cases, dependant must continue to extend their dependant visa until they meet the five-year requirement for ILR.

Share this post


The information provided in our articles is intended solely for guidance and should not be considered legal advice. We do not assume responsibility for any liabilities arising from the information in written articles and recommend that all readers seek professional advice before taking any action. For those wishing to discuss their case with a professional, please feel free to contact us directly.

Similar Posts