Convert Dependant Visa To Work Visa

How to Convert Dependant Visa To Work Visa in the UK

Holders of a Dependant Visa may have the option to transition to a Skilled Worker Visa from within the UK before the expiration of their current visa if they fulfil the requirements set forth by UK visas and immigration rules. 

Being a dependant visa holder typically means your stay in the UK is linked to the main visa holder, such as a partner or parent. However, transitioning to a Skilled Worker Visa empowers you with the independence to live and work in the UK based on your own qualifications and employment without being contingent on your partner’s visa status.

This means that even if the main visa holder’s situation changes – for instance, they exit the UK, or your familial or partnership circumstances evolve – you can continue to reside and work in the UK in your own right. This secures your professional future in the UK and reinforces your autonomy by making your stay no longer dependent on someone else’s visa condition.

This guide offers detailed information about the process, eligibility criteria, required documentation, and practical steps to make this switch. 

Can I Apply To Switch a Dependant Visa To a Skilled Worker Visa?

Yes, individuals currently residing in the UK under different Dependant Visas can make the transition to a Skilled Worker Visa. Specifically, if your current visa is one of the following, you are eligible to consider this switch:

  • Skilled Worker Dependant Visa (formerly Tier 2 Visa)
  • Student Dependant Visa (formerly Tier 4 Visa)
  • PBS Dependant Visa
  • Global Talent Dependant Visa
  • Scale-up Dependant Visa
  • Innovator Dependant Visa
  • High Potential Individual (HPI) Dependant Visa

Also Read: UK Student Dependent Visa New Rules 2024

Eligibility Requirements for the Switch

Transitioning from a Dependant Visa to a Skilled Worker Visa in 2024 necessitates fulfilling specific criteria to ensure a prosperous application process. The eligibility requirements are designed to confirm that applicants possess the necessary qualifications, job offers, and language skills to contribute effectively to the UK workforce.

Let’s explore the requirements in detail:

Job Offer From a Licenced Sponsor

One of the primary requirements for the Skilled Worker Visa is to secure a job offer in an eligible occupation from an employer holding a valid UK Sponsor Licence. The UK employer should assign them a Certificate of Sponsorship (CoS). This ensures the applicant has a genuine employment opportunity within the UK in a role recognised and valued within the immigration framework.

Minimum Salary Requirement

For the Skilled Worker Visa, applicants must provide evidence that their income meets or surpasses the minimum salary threshold.  This is currently set at £38,700 per annum or the standard rate for the specific job role, depending on which of these figures is higher.

Certain conditions allow for a lower salary threshold, such as positions listed on the immigration salary list, applicants under 26 years of age, those engaged in study or recent graduates in professional training, etc.

English Language Proficiency

Applicants must fulfil the English language prerequisites to ensure successful application. This can be achieved through various avenues, including being a citizen of an eligible English-speaking country, passing an approved English language test at a minimum of level B1 on the CEFR scale, or possessing a degree taught or researched in English. 

By meeting these criteria, dependant visa holders can confidently apply for a visa application to switch to a Skilled Worker Visa, setting the stage for a successful career and life in the UK.

Also Read: How to Apply for a Dependant Visa UK

Required Documents for Skilled Worker Visa Application

In support of your application to convert from a Dependant Visa to a Skilled Worker Visa, you must submit a set of specific documents. These documents are essential for UK immigration to verify your eligibility and readiness to work and reside in the UK. The list includes:

  • A current passport or another valid travel identification document.
  • A Sponsorship Certificate issued by an employer based in the UK.  
  • Proof of finances showing you can support yourself while in the UK.
  • Documentation proving you meet the English language criteria.
  • A clean criminal record confirmation.
  • Results of a TB test if you’re coming from a country where this is mandated.
  • If applicable, your PhD diploma or the reference number from Ecctis for your degree verification.

Assembling these documents in advance and confirming they satisfy the requirements can significantly smooth the transition process, paving the way for a successful application.

Also Read: Ultimate Guide to UK Dependant Visa: New Rules, Requirements, and Process 2024

How to Apply for Work Visa in the UK

Transforming a dependant visa to a skilled worker visa involves filling out the application form for the skilled worker visa. This form captures essential information regarding the nature of the employment offer and the applicant’s personal background.

The application process is accompanied by a fee, structured based on the visa’s duration: £719 per individual for visas up to three years and £1,423 for those extending beyond this period. Additionally, applicants are required to disburse a healthcare surcharge of £1,035 annually to access the National Health Service (NHS).

Applicants also need to schedule an appointment at a service point of UK Visa and Citizenship Application Services (UKVCAS) to provide biometric data, including a photograph and fingerprints. The Home Office may request further documentation to support your application, which must be uploaded as directed.

A decision usually comes within eight weeks after applying for a Skilled Worker visa. For those seeking a faster resolution, expedited services are available at an extra charge: the Priority Processing Service, which offers a decision within five working days for £500, and the Super Priority Processing Service, which guarantees a decision by the next working day for £1,000. 

Let Us Help

Are you feeling overwhelmed by the complexities of transitioning from a Dependant Visa to a Skilled Worker Visa? Navigating through various requirements, forms, and procedures can be daunting. But there’s no need to face it alone.

At Spouse Visa Lawyers, we specialise in simplifying this transition for you. Our team of proficient immigration attorneys has the expertise and experience to provide comprehensive guidance throughout the entire procedure, assuring your application is as strong and stress-free as possible.

We provide personalised support, from gathering the necessary documentation to preparing for your biometrics appointment, making your path to a Skilled Worker Visa clear and straightforward.

Let us help you secure your future in the UK. Reach out today.

You Ask, We Answer


Yes, if you meet the eligibility criteria for the specific work visa you want, you can easily convert from a dependent visa to a work visa in the UK.

Switching from a dependent to a skilled worker visa requires certain qualifications. These include securing a job offer from a UK employer holding a sponsorship licence, meeting the English language proficiency and minimum salary criteria, and meeting other requirements particular to the visa category.

Yes, care workers or senior care workers in the UK may be eligible to switch to a skilled worker visa if they meet the visa requirements.

Yes, you can apply to switch from a dependant visa to a work visa even if your existing visa is about to expire, as long as you match the conditions for the new visa type.

To switch from a dependant visa to a skilled worker visa for your partner or child, you must meet the visa requirements, apply online, provide the necessary documents, and attend a biometric appointment if necessary.

Share this post


The information provided in our articles is intended solely for guidance and should not be considered legal advice. We do not assume responsibility for any liabilities arising from the information in written articles and recommend that all readers seek professional advice before taking any action. For those wishing to discuss their case with a professional, please feel free to contact us directly.

Similar Posts