Bringing Your Husband or Boyfriend to the UK

Bringing Your Husband or Boyfriend to the UK

For many in the UK, the prospect of bringing a husband or boyfriend to live together is a dream they wish to realise. However, going through the complex UK immigration laws and procedures can often feel overwhelming. The process of bringing your husband or boyfriend to the UK is not complicated.

This article aims to simplify this process by introducing you to the various routes available for bringing your spouse or boyfriend to the UK. While this guide is informative, it’s always wise to consult with legal experts and stay updated on the latest immigration laws for your specific case.

UK Visitor Visa 

As the name suggests, the visitor visa enables non-UK citizens to enter the country solely for short-term visits. Your partner can enter the UK for a maximum of 6 months with a single entry Visitor Visa. There’s also the option of a long-term Visitor Visa, which allows multiple entries over two, five, or ten years. However, each visit with a long-term visa must not exceed six months.

For a Visitor Visa application, proving your relationship isn’t necessary; citing tourism as the reason for visiting the UK is sufficient.

To get the visa, your partner needs to demonstrate:

  • They mustn’t intend to stay after their visa expires
  • Economic self-sufficiency to sustain while in the UK
  • Possession or ability to purchase a return ticket
  • No plans to reside in the UK through frequent visits or to make the UK their permanent home

Your partner won’t be able to:

  • Apply for public funds
  • Engage in employment
  • Wed or enter a civil partnership

The Visitor Visa offers an affordable (only £115) and simple way for your partner to stay with you for up to six months in the United Kingdom, and this procedure can be replicated over time. However, it’s crucial to acknowledge that this visa is strictly for visitors. If the Home Office suspects your partner is utilising the visa to reside continually in the UK, they may withdraw it.

UK Fiancé Visa 

The Fiancé Visa, also known as the Marriage Visitor Visa, is designed for couples planning a wedding in the United Kingdom. It allows your partner to stay in the UK for up to six months, with the key distinction from the Visitor Visa being the permission to marry or form a civil partnership during their stay.

Eligibility criteria for the Fiancé Visa:

  • Both parties must be at least 18 years old.
  • You and your companion must be lawfully free to marry. This means neither of you can be currently married. If previously married, evidence such as a death certificate of the former spouse or a divorce decree absolute should be provided.
  • Your partner must not intend to stay in the UK for more than six months if the marriage or civil partnership does not take place.
  • Your partner must be financially self-sufficient for the duration of their stay.
  • They must be able to afford their return travel from the UK.
  • You need to provide details and evidence of the planned marriage or civil partnership, including expenditures already made.
  • Proof of a planned ceremony, like venue bookings, should be shown.

Fees and Financial Requirements:

  • The standard fee for applying for a fiance visa is £1,846 from outside the UK and £1,048 if applying from within the UK.
  • The financial threshold requirement for ALL family visas is now £29,000 as of April 11th, 2024. This will be followed by increases to £34,500 later in the year and then to £38,700 by early 2025. The UK government often changes this requirement. For the most up-to-date information on how to meet the new requirements, visit our page on family visa financial requirements or contact us directly.

Read More: How Much Does UK Fiance Visa Cost in 2024?

This visa is ideal for celebrating your wedding or civil partnership in the UK surrounded by friends and family. It’s important to note that the Fiancé Visa is not a pathway for settling in the UK. If your goal is to bring your partner to the UK permanently, other visa options should be considered.

Also Read: How to Apply for a Fiance Visa UK?

UK Unmarried Partner Visa

The UK Unmarried Partner Visa allows unmarried partners to enter or remain in the UK. The partner must be a British or Irish citizen or someone with settled status in the UK. It is a progressive option that provides recognition and rights to couples who are in a relationship identical to marriage or civil partnership but may not wish to or cannot formalise their union through these traditional means.

Eligibility criteria for the Unmarried Partner Visa:

  • Both persons must be over the age of 18.
  • The connection must have been enduring for at least 2 years, with evidence of having met in person.
  • The relationship should be genuine and subsisting.
  • Neither partner should be involved in other romantic relationships.
  • Financial stability must be proven to support yourselves in the UK.
  • Your partner must demonstrate an adequate level of English proficiency.

Fees and Financial Requirements:

  • The application fee for an Unmarried Partner Visa is £1,846 when applying from outside the UK and £1,048 for applications made within the UK.
  • The financial criteria for all family visas in the UK is £29,000 as of April 11th 2024. Later in the year, it will rise once again to £34,500 later in the year and then to £38,700, as anticipated by early 2025. The UK government frequently updates these requirements. For the latest information and guidance on meeting these financial standards through income, savings, pensions, investments and more, read our dedicated page, or please contact us directly.

The Unmarried Partner Visa is originally awarded for 2.5 years and can be expanded. After staying in the UK lawfully for more than five years on this visa, your partner becomes qualified for indefinite leave to remain, making the way for permanent residency.

UK Spouse Visa 

The Spouse Visa offers a great opportunity for your husband to reside, work, and ultimately settle in the UK. It initially allows for a 2.5-year stay, which can be extended for another 2.5 years. After five years in the UK, your husband can apply for indefinite leave to remain and eventually seek British Citizenship through naturalisation.

To be qualified for the Spouse Visa, the following criteria must be met:

  • Both you and your husband must be 18 years or older.
  • You should be a British national or possess indefinite leave to remain, settled status, or have refugee or protected status in the UK.
  • Your husband must be committed to settling in the UK long-term.
  • Your union should be recognised under UK law.
  • You must have lived together for at least two years, with evidence such as joint addresses or finances and letters from government entities, banks, or utility providers dating back no more than four years.
  • Your husband must meet the required level of English proficiency.
  • You need to prove financial stability to support yourselves in the UK without public funds.

Read More: What Are the UK Spouse Visa Requirements in 2024?

Fees and Financial Requirements:

  • The application fee for a Spouse Visa is £1,846 when applying from outside the UK and £1,048 for applications made within the UK.
  • The income threshold for all UK family visas is £29,000 as of April 11th 2024. It will rise again to £34,500 later in the year, after which it will rise to £38,700 by early 2025. Changes to these financial requirements are a common practice by the UK government. Read our page on family visa financial requirements for current and detailed advice on complying with these financial criteria and how you can meet them through income, savings, investments, pensions and more. Or contact us directly for a consultation.

Being unable to satisfy these conditions could lead to a visa application rejection, though you can appeal this decision. For instance, you might argue that your partner qualifies for a Spouse Visa by demonstrating ‘insurmountable obstacles’ to continuing your relationship outside the UK.

Although the Spouse Visa demand more documentation than other visas, it is the most comprehensive option for couples planning to establish their life together in the UK. It grants the privilege to be employed and study in the UK and allows bringing dependent children.

Also Read: How Much is a Spouse Visa UK in 2024? [ Guide ]

UK Dependent Visa

The UK Dependent Visa allows the dependents of UK nationals, those settled in the UK, or holders of specific visa categories to join them in the UK. Dependents eligible for this visa include spouses, civil partners, partners in an unmarried or same-sex relationship, children under 18, and sometimes, parents or grown-up children.

Requirements for the Dependent Visa include:

  • Being a dependent of the individual who is present and settled in the UK or on a Work Visa.
  • Providing proof of the dependent’s relationship with the main applicant or ‘sponsor’.
  • Demonstrating the intention to live with the sponsor in the UK for the duration of your visa.
  • Demonstrating sufficient economic means to sustain yourself and any dependents in the UK without leaning on public funds.

Fees and Financial Requirements:

  • The application fee for a UK Dependent Visa is £1,846 when applying from outside the UK and £1,048 for applications submitted within the UK.
  • The current financial requirement for UK Spouse Visas is £29,000 as of April 11th 2024. This is set to change to £34,500 later in the year, after which it will rise further to £38,700 by early 2025. This threshold is subject to regular modifications by the UK government. For the most recent information on how to fulfil these financial requirements through income, savings, pensions and investments, we encourage you to read our page on family visa financial requirements or get in touch with us.

These are the fundamental requirements for a Dependent Visa in the UK. However, remember that UK immigration rules are regularly updated. For the most current information and advice on your application, it’s essential to consult the latest guidelines provided by the UK Government or seek advice from a qualified legal expert.

Civil Partner Visa 

The Civil Partner Visa, catering specifically to those in a civil partnership with a UK national or someone with settled status, permits the applicant to live, study or work in the UK.

Essential requirements for the Civil Partner Visa:

  • Both spouses must be 18 years old or older.
  • The civil partnership must be identified by UK law.
  • Both individuals in the partnership must intend to live permanently together in the United Kingdom.
  • Adequate English language proficiency is required.
  • Financial stability to support yourselves without public assistance.

This visa is initially valid for 33 months and can be extended. After five years, the holder may seek indefinite leave to remain in the UK.

Also Read: Civil Partnership Visa – Requirements & Application Guidance

Application Costs and Economic Criteria for UK Civil Partner Visa:

  • If you are applying for a UK Dependent Visa from outside the UK, the application charge is £1,846. However, if you apply from within the UK, the fee is reduced to £1,048. 
  • The financial requirement for all family visas in the UK is £29,000 as of April 11th 2024. This will once again rise to £34,500 later in 2024, after which it will rise once again to £38,700 by early 2025. The UK government often revises these financial thresholds. To stay informed about the latest criteria and how to meet them through income, savings, investments or pensions, read our page on family visa financial requirements, or please get in touch with us directly.

EU Settlement Scheme (EUSS) Family Permit 

The EU Settlement Scheme (EUSS) family permit is designed to enable close family members of EU, EEA, or Swiss citizens residing in the United Kingdom to migrate and reunite with them. To qualify, the family member already residing in the UK should hold either pre-settled or settled status per the EU Settlement Scheme.

Key eligibility criteria for the EUSS family permit include:

  • Being an immediate family member of an EU, EEA, or Swiss citizen in the UK.
  • The connection with the EU, EEA, or Swiss nationals must have been established before 31 December 2020.
  • The EU, EEA, or Swiss citizen in the UK must hold pre-settled or settled status.

The EUSS Family Permit is offered for six months, allowing work and study in the UK. It offers a pathway for family members to apply for pre-settled or settled status independently.

Need Help to Bring Your Husband or Boyfriend to the UK?

 Let Spouse Visa Lawyers streamline the procedure and help you navigate the complex immigration laws. Our expertise in UK immigration law ensures that you receive personalised and effective legal advice tailored to your unique situation.
Don’t let the daunting task of legal procedures overshadow your dream of living together in the UK. Contact Spouse Visa Lawyers today and set the stage to make that dream a reality.

You Ask, We Answer


Yes, if you are a British citizen or possess indefinite leave to remain, you can apply for a spouse visa for your spouse. After living in the UK for five years on this visa, your husband can seek Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR), granting him permanent residence.

If the visa is denied, you can file an appeal against the decision. Alternatively, you can reapply if your situation changes or if you can fix the grounds for the initial rejection. In any case, it’s highly recommended to seek expert legal advice.

The most fitting method depends on your relationship status and your boyfriend’s intended visit duration. For temporary stays, a general Visitor Visa may be adequate. For engagements and marriage plans in the UK, a Fiancé Visa is suitable. For married couples or those in a long-term relationship, consider a Spouse or Unmarried Partner Visa.

Costs vary based on the visa type and where you apply. For example, As of 2024, the standard fee is £1,846 to apply for a spouse visa from outside the UK and £1,048 if applying from within the UK. Additional costs include the Immigration Health Surcharge (£1,035, as of 2024), English language tests, and legal advice fees.

Your choice depends on your relationship status and future plans. If you’re already married, a Spouse Visa is apt. If you plan to marry in the UK within six months, a Fiancé Visa is ideal. Note that a Fiancé Visa is temporary and does not permit employment.

Share this post


The information provided in our articles is intended solely for guidance and should not be considered legal advice. We do not assume responsibility for any liabilities arising from the information in written articles and recommend that all readers seek professional advice before taking any action. For those wishing to discuss their case with a professional, please feel free to contact us directly.

Similar Posts